Repair of the day, Black and Decker Belgian Waffle maker

Image

NOTE: This post has been updated to include a 3D printer solution, download this part if you have a 3D printer.

Its called the Model WMB500 and I got one for Christmas last year. It worked perfectly the first time I used it but when I went to use it a second time one of the hinge pins was broken so we took it back and got another one but those pins broke within a few weeks. I called the Black and Decker hot line and was sent some more pins but shockingly they broke too so I put away the waffle iron thinking that one day the idea for the perfect fix would come to me.

Its really too bad as the little machine made perfect waffles and wasn’t too hard to clean for a waffle maker, less parts makes less parts to clean you know. Its small size was perfect for storage and fit neatly on its edge in the cupboard next to the waffle mix. I was disappointed, really that was an understatement as I blamed outsourcing for destroying the integrity of the manufacturing sector and was driven to a sad state where I would watch Noam Chomsky for hours clutching my tiny blanket and murmuring.

Image

(One of the many broken pins I have)

Last week I took my broken waffle making appliance to the local Ace Hardware and walked up and down the isle of little screw and nut bits until an idea came to mind. If I could find some fuel hose that fit in the hinge opening then a small nut and bolt could be used to expand the hose and form a new hinge. You want to use at least “fuel hose” because its made to withstand a bit higher temperature than normal hose and since a waffle iron gets hot you gotta think about these things.

Image(The parts used to make the new hinge pins)

I bought two 1/4″ x 1-1/4″ counter sink bolts with hex nuts included, two 1/4″ washers and one foot of 1/4″ fuel hose. If you want to try this you have to make sure the hose fits in the hinge opening as hose is sold by the inside diameter not the outside diameter so that number can vary.

Image

The hose was cut to just over 1″ and one end was counter sunk by hand turning a 1/2″ drill bit to remove a tiny bit of hose material.

ImageHere the bolt and hose have been inserted in the hinge opening. Make sure the hose passes through both parts of the plastic body so there is room for it to expand.

ImageTighten only to apply enough pressure to keep the pin from coming out, too much could break the plastic body.

Image

Finished repair. I used the least expensive hardware which made the total cost less than $3.00 but you could use an acorn nut that would hide the threads and make a slighter nicer looking repair for another $2.

I wish I had another picture here of my smiling face grilling waffles but I’m sure you get the idea.