UPDATED: Repair of the Day, Black & Decker Belgian Waffle Maker on a 3D Printer

You might remember my post of April 12th, 2013 titled something like “repair of the Black and Decker Belgian Waffle maker“? It’s been my most popular post here at WordPress attracting a few views almost every single day since I posted it. I was quite proud of it too being able to not only showcase an elegant and inexpensive repair that just about anyone could do but selfishly I really enjoyed having that little machine working again.


So here we are in 2017 and I’m going to revisit that repair with a new twist. I’ve purchased a 3D printer and started a user group to get my skills up in advance of a big project I’m contemplating. In the mean time I’m searching out little projects around the house. So far I’ve made mostly handles and knobs to fix broken ones and I’ve created a couple of new items and even designed some upgrade parts for the 3D printer itself, which I’m told is a right of passage in the digital world. I’ve even made some YouTube videos of some of those parts and repairs.


Now that’s a funny looking waffle maker

Now first thing I want to start with is if you’ve already done my first fix and it’s holding up for you then stop right here and go back to making waffles as this does the same thing and I sort of like the old method better. I’ve taken apart my waffle maker and inspected those pieces and have found them to have held up perfectly and do not require replacement. It is nice to be able to pull the pins and give the hinge a good cleaning once and awhile as grease does build up in the recessed areas that you can’t normally clean but other than that there is no reason to replace them.

Okay I guess you haven’t done the previous repair or want to see what I’ve come up with in the wide world of science and over design. Let’s proceed. With the pins out and the area cleaned of grease and pancake batter we can make some measurements to aid in designing the new part. If you still have an old pin it is easy to measure the depth and width of the locking tabs otherwise the hinge needs to be separated enough to get a caliper in. I couldn’t find any of the old pins and had to do the latter.

I like to start with a sketch so when I sit down at the computer I can just get to work. The sketch is done first then the dimensions are filled in as I measure the part.

This part was modeled in Tinkercad, a free online 3D design tool that is great for simple parts like this.

Here is the part being printed.

And here is the finished product.

If you’re interested I’ve made the model available at Thingiverse but you have to make sure you print this using a high temp filament because waffle irons get hot. If your printer can only print PLA then I recommend using my original method.


2 thoughts on “UPDATED: Repair of the Day, Black & Decker Belgian Waffle Maker on a 3D Printer

  1. I was very pleased to seek out this net-site.I needed to thanks in your time for this wonderful read!! I undoubtedly having fun with each little little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s